Bio:

Kristal & Ashley are 2 stay at home moms of a bunch of little kids. They both love to cook, but live a LONG ways from each other and are tired of sharing recipes over online chats....soooo, in comes Just a Spoonful of Honey...THE BLOG!
So sit back, read up, turn up the killer cooking tunes, and get into the kitchen!!!!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Moderation...right?

Ok, so I made this recipe a couple of years ago for father's day for my dad.  Haven't made it since...til last week, when I remembered about an hour beforehand that I was in charge of treats for the kid's ball game!  So I made a bunch of little bags of it, and lots of people were asking for the recipe...I feel bad giving it out...and you'll see why.  It has EVERYTHING bad in it...plus, the kicker...you use your  microwave a lot!  My kids call the microwave the egg holder, it's where we keep our eggs...we don't microwave, but it's a must for this...ok it's really not, but it helps with the crunchiness....

  • 6 cups popped popcorn 
  • 3/4 cup salted peanuts 
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 1/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (HORRIBLE, I know, I'm sorry, just do it)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

  1. Place popcorn and peanuts in a large microwave-safe bowl; set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 2 minutes longer.
  2. Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour over popcorn mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes, stirring several times. Spread on greased baking sheets to cool. Store in an airtight container.

I'm sorry everyone..just make it, eat it and be happy!

2 comments:

  1. i did this with honey (instead of the syrup) and organic unrefined sugar and it worked great. I took out the peanuts and added cinnamon and they tasted like cinnamon buns!
    (I also made the bad kind to take to my visit teaching families, this is not as addictive but filled the space nicely!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, we've notcied that honey can replace corn syrup in most everything too, isn't that nuts? Too bad we can't omit it from store bought crap. we'll hvae to try it with this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete