Bio:

Kristal & Ashley are 2 stay at home moms of a bunch of little kids. They both love to cook, but live a LONG ways from each other and are tired of sharing recipes over online chats....soooo, in comes Just a Spoonful of Honey...THE BLOG!
So sit back, read up, turn up the killer cooking tunes, and get into the kitchen!!!!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Clean and awesome

I made these sweet potato corn cakes for my family the other night and that's ALL I made them and they all loved it, got full, and stayed healthy!  haha.   I of course double the recipe for the 7 of us, but like I said, it's all I made…I can do double lazy better than not double complex meals.  I got this recipe off of Pinterest but tweaked it a bit.  All of our ingredients are organic…well, I'm assuming the cilantro my sister gave me out of her garden is, except our panko.


3 lbs. sweet potatoes (this was 2 large ones for us)
1.5 cup frozen corn kernels (organic at Costco)
1/4 C diced  cilantro 
¼ tsp cayenne pepper 
1.5 tsp cumin 
1 tsp salt 
1 large egg 
⅓ panko 
1 cup plain breadcrumbs

The original recipe called for yellow cornmeal instead of panko, and diced green onion…I just didn't have them, but it was still AWESOME! the website is budgetbytes.com

First I cut sweet potatoes in fourths and steamed them until they were soft enough to run a fork through.  After they cooled I scooped out the meat of em and put it in a bowl.
I mashed that up and added the cilantro, corn, salt, cumin and cayenne.  Stirred that up, then added the breadcrumbs, panko and eggs.  After it was mixed up I put it in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes

I set my stove to medium low and put some olive oil in my pan.   Removed the mixture from the refrigerator and made them into patties and cooked em on the stove.  As you can see from my crappy (no flash) picture, they brown a bit.  There was a sauce that the original recipe made out of greek plain yogurt, garlic and cilantro, but we don't keep dairy in the house often, so we didn't have the yogurt.   My kids LOVED putting (costco's) Del Sol salsa on it or eating them plain.  

Oh and also, we had one left over and they warmed up on the stove just fine! (we don't' use our microwave…if you do, I'm sure they'll warm up fine in there too)

1 comment: